Thursday, May 25, 2006

he sure can be mean...

Blossom Dearie - Long Daddy Green



If you're not familiar with Blossom Dearie's exquisite voice here's a treat for you:
light and sweet but perfectly measured and thoroughly tasteful...
And even if you are familiar with her, this number has a very different delivery to her usual up-tempo rendition of this song; slow, languid, somewhat dark, even spooky, it has to be my favourite of all her recordings — and that's saying something!
I haven't found this version on any available Blossom Dearie recordings. I received it on a tape and have been looking for the original recording ever since. There is a little bit of distortion here and there but it's pretty clear for a 20 year old tape...
If anyone can advise which of her records it was issued on I'll be very grateful!

Long Daddy Green

You can read more about Blossom Dearie's extraordinary singing career here
Voltage Controlled Technicolor has posted an excellent album of her recordings here

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benito X,
Just stumbled upon your block: cool!
About the Meditation post: great!

Dig the concept of your blog...
Ill be back!

Kenny

May 25, 2006 5:06 am  
Blogger walkathon said...

It's from her 1970 album "That's Just The Way I Want To Be," one of her best. Sadly, only an expensive Japanese import these days. The production is super thick throughout - highly recommended.

Props for your music blogs, btw.

June 13, 2006 8:02 am  
Blogger best modern design said...

Once heard never forgotten, Blossom Dearie is marvelous.

July 10, 2006 6:10 am  
Blogger mel said...

Voltage Controlled Technicolor are now regrettably out of business but you can get some Blossom Dearie at Ibiza - both the old blog and the new.

August 23, 2006 11:17 am  
Blogger Ojku said...

Hey I am driving nuts! I am searching for long daddy green lyrics. I want to make a cover of that song with a woman voice. PLease if you have the lyrics of that song please let me know. My email is kaworu_peromal@hotmail.com (messenger also)
I am not a blogger.. sorry for my bad english i am from argentina.

February 20, 2008 1:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home